The Bottom Line
- The most comprehensive collection of Greg Brown's work.
- This record does a great job of capturing the energy of Greg's live show.
- Guest players Garnet Rogers, Nina Gerber, Shawn Colvin, and others
- This two-disc recording is maybe a little much to take in at first
- My top three picks from this CD: "China," "I Want My Country Back," and "Your Town Now."
- Finally a recording that covers all of Greg's best songs in their most natural and organic context.
- Features excellent versions of several previously un-released songs.
Guide Review - Greg Brown - In the Hills of California
On In the Hills of California, we get to hear his stories, songs, jams, and interjections as we're taken through six years of his performances at the Kate Wolf Music Festival in Sonoma County, California.
Throughout these performances, Greg is joined by Nina Gerber, Garnet Rogers, Shawn Colvin, and others. The guest players bring fabulous touches on their respective instruments and backing vocals. But the main attraction here is definitely the songs.
Greg Brown's compositions talk about everything from tequila and love to wanderlust and old age. Even Kate Wolf gets a tribute in a beautiful rendition of "Kate's Guitar." His songs are as poignant as novels and often as heart-wrenching as love affairs. His easy poetics lend themselves easily to his low, grumbling melodies and his smooth bluesy guitar playing.
Greg's discography is impressive and long, and In the Hills of California is an excellent collection of his greatest work recorded in the most perfect atmosphere - a festival in the countryside.
Listen to In the Hills of California